Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Good news and Bad news...

So, I think I'm going to be able to go with the midwife after all! Superhubby is going to call Mr. Insurance man soon and get all that junk straightened out. I got ahold of the one midwife that I thought I was going to go with, but turns out, she doesn't deliver in hospitals, only at home. So, she recommended two. I called one who works in a doctor's office, she delivers at St. Anne's and it sounds like this is probably who I'll go with. I have a "Meet & Greet" session with her next Tuesday (which is a free session!). God love free stuff! I've got so many questions! And I think I'm going to cancel my appointment with the OB/GYN. The first midwife I talked to didn't really have a lot of good stuff to say about him. I really want to try to avoid certain things, such as: ultrasounds, amniocentesis, c-sections, induction, epidural, etc. I want to do this naturally, and she said that he told her to her face that he thought "women should be managed"!!!! He calls them "managed births". Something that happens naturally does NOT need managed!!!!!!! She said he had about a 50% c-section rate!!!! DEAR LORD!!!!!!!! THAT'S INSANE!!!!!! And I told her that I was overweight and she said that if he thinks I'm slightly overweight, he'll pressure me to do a c-section! NOOOOOOO! I want to avoid this as much as possible! It's just insane how much of that stuff goes on in the OB/GYN practice. So, anyway. After getting stressed out while talking to her, I got de-stressed and called this other midwife and she is going to see me next week! That's crazy considering that it's taking me a whole month to get in with this other guy!

Oh, and I didn't tell you the best part! I decided to call Mr. OB/GYN and find out if I don't want an ultrasound if he would be willing to work with me. I first called last Thursday, they said he'd call me back by the end of the day...nothing. So, I gave him most of Friday and called back in the afternoon. Do you know what they said? Here, I won't keep you guessing: "I'm sorry, the office is closed for the rest of the day, can I have him call you on Monday?" So, I sighed and said "Sure." Monday came and gone, nothing! I called back yesterday and guess what they said this time? "You mean they didn't tell you he's been on vacation since Friday? Yeah, he won't be back until Thursday this week!" Whaaaatt?!?!?!?!??! I'm not very happy about this! This just shows me how incompetent that office really is! They don't care about you! All they care about is the money! Grrrrrr!

BUT, that's okay, because I've got a midwife! I'VE GOT A MIDWIFE! :-) I'm pleased with myself, because I didn't think I'd find one that worked out of hospitals! Yay me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I delivered all 3 kiddos at St. Anne's. Didn't have a mid-wife but I was very pleased w/my doctor and experience at St. Anne's in general. The nurses were GREAT! I was in labor for 11 hours w/Hunter and I had THE BEST nurse that stayed by my side the whoooole time w/him. Drug free so w/no epi I was (obviously,lol) in pain (back labor) and she stayed right by my side, massaging one side as Daniel massaged the other side. She was terrific. She even stayed after her shift ended (she got off a 7a.m. and Hunter wasn't born till 8:30) just b/c she was w/me thru the whole thing and "just has to be here to see that baby we've worked so hard for." =) Then, when I was up in my room the next day she came to visit. Great experience!

Oh....and....I had drugs with Abby but no drugs with the boys. MUCH better experience w/the boys! I was so out of it w/abby I don't think I even realized I was pushing when they told me to push. Daniel even comments that the boys were so much more alert than Abby was when they were born, and I was more alert and recovered faster too. So if you're looking to go drug free, I'm in ur corner sista! =) ~Carolyn

Anonymous said...

This is why the US has such a high infant mortality rate