Sunday, May 11, 2008

Day 2 - 5:50 pm CST

Ok, it was a seriously long trip yesterday. We stopped in Nashville at 11:30 CST for lunch at Steak ‘n Shake. We got back on the road and it seemed like Tennessee would never end. We finally crossed over to Arkansas and it seemed like another eternity to get to Hot Springs. We ran into a quick downpour of rain before we got to camp, then it got really windy. When we got to the campgrounds (KOA in Hot Springs), we heard on the radio that there was a tornado in Little Rock (northwest of where we were). So, we were under a tornado watch until 2am. We were so exhausted when we got to camp, we just wanted to crash. Problem was, we had to set up camp still and there was really not any air moving inside the camper and it was humid. Yuck! Mom, Joe and Alison went down the hill to order some pizza because we really didn’t want to spend all the time preparing a meal, cooking over a fire that we had to start and then cleaning up. So, by the time they got back, Dad and I had camp mostly set up and somewhat organized and I was sweating to high heaven. Bleck!!! My head was killing me because I think I have taken after Superhubby and started getting barometric pressure change headaches. The pizza showed up and we sucked it all down in no time, then I required a shower before I went to bed. By the time Alison and I got back from the showers, Mom, Dad and Joe were all crashed already. So, I called my mom to let her know we were still alive and then I crashed…kinda. If you knew me as a child, if we had a tornado watch, I couldn’t fall asleep until it was over. We were sleeping with the windows open in the camper and the wind was picking up a lot and it was moving the trees above us a little too much for my comfort. We laid down around 9:30pm and I really didn’t fall asleep until after midnight. Then I woke up every half an hour to hour because of the wind. I got to the point that I was praying that God would shut me off until morning. So, between the wind and Dad’s snoring, we were all (minus Dad) not sleeping well all night. I woke up around 5:30 and found Mom missing. Joe said he thought that she went to the vehicle to sleep…she did. At 6:30, we woke up again and found Alison missing too…she and Mom had taken off to the restrooms…from there, we got up and started getting things underway. Mom made her famous pancakes on the camper stove (once again, we really didn’t want to mess with a fire…) and we got ready for the day and started packing up camp. We checked out and began driving towards the Crater of Diamonds near Murfreesboro, Arkansas. On the way, Mom found a doughnut place that she has fond memories of, so we stopped and got some. Here's some pics from that...Their sign...
Mom gettin' into them...


Mmmmmm....doughnuts.....

"Eat your hole out Crispy Cream!!!"

We also found this place down the road from there:



Brother Hall...are you keeping something from us???

No comments: